The chapel of St John the Baptist was first recorded in a Charter of 871
A church certainly existed in ‘Bastune’ at the time the Doomsday Book was compiled in 1087 although no trace of it now remains.
Work began on the existing building in the 12th century, with modifications being made over the years since. The western part of the nave is 15th Century, the eastern part 14th Century. The Chancel arch is 12th Century. The Church is Grade 1 listed. The chancel was rebuilt by the Victorians.
The porch is 15th Century, the sundial above the porch predates the clock which was installed as a memorial of the wedding of King Edward 7th and Queen Alexandra and was dedicated by Edward King, Bishop of Lincoln on 15th December 1903. The door is thought to be from late 1600’s, one of the inscriptions is 1751, part of the door is from bog oak. The Parish Chest, made of bog oak, dates from around late 1200’s.The organ was built in 1897.
The Guild of St Katherine was at the west end of the south aisle, and the eastern end held the Guild of St Mary (the cusped headed piscina and aumbry still remain). The Guilds were dissolved about 1522 as a result of the Reformation. St Mary’s Chapel now houses the magnificent War Memorial.
Around the Church are various plaques commemorating local people who gave money for ‘the poor of the village’ theses have been amalgamated into one, Baston Charities, and is run by a small committee. Other memorials are to previous Incumbents, their wives, churchwardens.
There are 6 bells dated 1693 (recast 1885), 1694, 1703, 1705 (recast 1885), 1797, 1968.
The Victorians were responsible for providing the pews around 1851. The pews were on a raised wooden platform which was supported by wooden bearers on many brick pillars. The damp came up through the bricks and the bearers and floor eventually rotted which led to the restoration work of 2010. The floor and pews were completely removed and a stone floor laid, chairs bought, making it a much more flexible space. At the same time the very inadequate heating (an old grain dryer blowing out hot air in one corner only) was replaced with radiators and gas boiler. The old electrics were modernised and cupboards built to enclose the boiler and electrics with a sink and cupboards making the serving of refreshments after services and at functions much easier. This also opens up the BLAND window at the west end of the north aisle, which was restored at the same time, and allows the inscription to be read.